Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Domestic Goddesses


Sister J and I have been trying our hands at canning food. Yeah! It all started with us being put in charge of food storage for our collective families. We found wiht the meals we wanted to have that we need to have chicken. If you havn't noticed canned chicken is not worth the cost for the little tiny cans when you are trying to feed 21 people. So, we bought chicken at Costco. (cheapest place to get it by the way) After trial and error and lots of help from Kathy McNeil (props to you) we canned our first 50lbs. It only took us ALL day. Well at least then we knew how to do it. Our next few batches have been much easier and MUCH faster. we are so good now we take turns doing batches by ourselves and get it done pretty quick, even with kids around. With chicken under our belts we have ventured on. I have done some pork, Sister J has done ground turkey, jellies and applesause. I went over a few days ago and she showed me how to make applesauce. It is so yummy and Speed ate almost a whole quart jar of the stuff by himself in one sitting. Yeah. I can't wait to do so much more. There are so many women in our ward who do great things. It's nice to start scratching the surface a little myself. Also a huge thanks to Kathy again for her help and use of pressure canner, and thanks to Becky B for the use of her canner also untill we were able to get our own.

1 comments:

Rebecca Irvine said...

Good for you guys! That is a ton of work that is well worth while. I'll have to get you to show me how to do applesauce...that's one I have never tried before.